Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Morality of Bud chp 5 pt 1(rough. draft )

Later that evening Bud joined the brothers for dinner. Brother Patrick walked him around and made introductions. Bud was surprised to see such a lively happy group. He assumed that monks were always in a quiet solemn state of prayer. They seemed more like builders and laborers, relaxing after a hard day's work. He was invited to evening prayers and song, but he politely declined. When he got back to his room, Bud placed his notes and work in the chest. The edge of the gray bag was partially exposed on the bottom. " I'm not going to think of you right now." he said to himself. He pulled out the open envelope that Patrick gave him. Bud lit a lamp that was carved into the stone wall above the bed. He sat on the bed, unfolded the letter, and read: To the care of Bother Justin : Head administrator; Monastery of perpetual light From the widow Melony of east Paralem: My dear friend Justin, Thank you for your exception of my son into the Monastery. I trust that the brothers education and protection will be a profound benefit to him. The brothers have always been incredibly kind to me and my people. Your Monastery was my only source of refuge during my time of exile. Forever, your order will have my love and reverence. When I decided to keep Bud as my own, your counsel was invaluable. My little Bud has brought me so much piece and joy. I fear and regret that I treated him more like a precious jewl, rather than a person in need of raising to maturity. I have unfairly sheltered and kept him from this world. The results of my burden were not his to share. I can only hope that his journey to Paralem will be uneventful. His mother would never forgive herself if something happened to him. My biggest crime, was that I never pursued the mystery of his origin. He never seemed to care, and I found it easy to ignore the subject. I will always carry shame for that. Bud will be leaving next week, but I haven't told him. Time has become to short I just don't know how to prepare him. By no fault of his own, Bud is very nieve to the outside world. Bud is not prone to adventure or mischief. He should be a very pleasant ward. With gratitude and love, Melony: Bud put the letter back in the envelope and placed it on the floor. He lied down and looked up at the ceiling. His feelings of resentment towards his mother turned to a sense of empathy. After all, Melony was an imperfect person just like everyone else. Buds thoughts turned to Rose-lee. He wondered how she was and what she was doing at the moment. They only knew eachother for a few days, but he longed for her like she was an old friend. Although he tried not to think of it, the bag invaded his mind. Was it's power evil, or was the evil from those who used it? If he was ever to be free of it...he would have to find a way to learn more about it. Was that even possible? Bud could not directly ask Bother Patrick for obvious reasons. Besides; the man was a monk and scholar, not a sorcerer. He understood that he was in possession of something that was extremely dangerous. He would have to proceed with great caution. Even now, he felt some temptation to play with it. ...

No comments: